Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Haley; van Gough



1. The piece I appreciated the most was called Field with Flowers near Aries. I was amazed by they way he used different brushstrokes to create a sense of space. In particular, I love the flowers towards the front of the painting because they are very detailed. He uses different techniques (detailed vs vague) very successfully in this piece!


2. I think his unique style makes him a revolutionary. Specifically I think his use of color and the ability to create texture makes him very successful. He uses so many colors and so many brush strokes to make up an object or landscape in his piece, yet it seems realistic. I love his impressionist-like style and how he can make something as a field so beautiful. I also appreciate his ability to create texture with his many brush strokes. I think this element makes his pieces more realistic that the viewer can feel like they are there.

3. I'm not sure if he had a concentration, but all of his work looks very cohesive. You can tell instantly by looking at a pairing if it was by van Gough. I learned that he was inspired by Japanese prints and it also appears that he like painting nature and landscapes so this could be his concentration. I think that although he did not necessarily paint the same subjects, his unique style makes his work seem as it was a concentration.

4. Seeing his work upclose was a very special experience because I really enjoy his pieces and love his style. I appreciate his work more now seeing how amazing it looked in person rather than in a photo.

5. I think that knowing more about his psychological struggles makes me look further into his pieces. I think that although he was having a very hard time personally, it doesn't carry over into his work as much as you would think. Most of the pieces portrayed happiness and had bright colors. If I know about his personal struggles earlier I would think that his pieces would all be dark and somber. It is very interesting that even when he was in the worst conditions, his artwork was not drastically different.

No comments:

Post a Comment