Monday, November 28, 2011

Self Evaluation

PART 1:

I feel that i was fairly successful in incorporating the hyper-realism style; however, it wasn't perfect. The eyes of the frog looked realistic, but the bumps on the frog's stomach/body need work.

Imitation is simply copying something without making it your own, while inspiration is when the artist uses his/her source as a source of reference.

PART 2:

To me, a canvas painted blue, for example, isn't art because anybody could do that, and there is nothing conveyed within the piece.
Art is something that recalls a memory, emotion, or addresses a certain theme. It must look like time and effort were put into the work, and it wasn't done quickly or carelessly. It doesn't necessarily have to be complex, but if the work is fairly simple it must be executed properly and neatly. I think the idea or concept of the work is the least important of the three criteria because everybody has different interests and opinions, and not everything will intrigue everyone.

PART 3:
Research the following and evaluate whether or not the piece is considered "art" based on your criteria:

1. "1000 hours of staring by Tom Friedman
I don't consider this as respectable art, since it doesn't look like it took effort, time, or any thinking.

2. Sistine Chapel ceiling by Michelangelo
I believe this is definitely a masterpiece of art. After seeing this in person, I can say that is definitely an awe-inspiring work of art. If this isn't art, nothing is.

3. The Bowery in Two Inadequate Descriptive Systems by Martha Rosler
Being a person with a great appreciation for art, I consider Martha's work as good art. It isn't the most time consuming, but it succeeds in conveying emotions or feelings.

4. Jackson Pollock #8
I don't consider this as art, since it doesn't evoke any feeling or memory. It also doesn't look too difficult to create. I'm sure it took time and a bit of technique but it just doesn't strike me as great art.

5. Sol le Witt's wall drawings
I definitely consider le Witt's wall drawings as art. They take a lot of time and effort, and I reallylike them. His colorful drawings really grab the viewer's eyes; however, the fact that he doesn't execute the work takes away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment