Wednesday, September 21, 2011


I chose this piece by Egon Schiele called "Autumn Sun". I wouldn't necessarily consider Egon Schiele to be a mentor artist of mine because I find a lot of his subjects to be disturbing, however I think this piece is very intriguing. At first glance, I didn't know what material he used to create this image. When I further researched I figured out that he used oil paint, which I find amazing. I love how he painted the sky to look very abstract but intentional. The mix of blues and oranges (complementary colors) in the sky creates a believable scene. I appreciate how he was able to paint the trees with great detail as a contrast to the abstract sky. I also observed that 3 of the trees have leaves while the other tree does not. I'm interested in why he chose to paint the fourth tree in that way. Overall, I really enjoy how he used oil paint in two different ways to compose this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment