Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mentor Artist

Post an image of a piece created by one of your "mentor artists". Try to articulate why the artist's work speaks to you. Post Due Friday 9/23 by 4pm.


I chose the piece "Chess Players" by John Singer Sargent, one of my favorite painters. Sargent is known for his powerful portraits and his exceptional handling of paint. I appreciate his ability to create an "effortless" and fresh interpretation of his subject and his ability to translate light and atmosphere. Some areas of his work are very resolved and refined (creating areas of emphasis or focus), and in other areas his brushwork remains very loose and expressive. I chose this piece because I admire his brushwork and I appreciate how he repeated his color palette throughout the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment