Sunday, November 27, 2011

Garrett's Self Evaluation

Part 1

1. I feel like I was able to successfully incorporate the techniques and style of my artist into my piece. I believe I was able to really capture the motion of the eagle’s wing. I could have displayed the wings motion a little bit better by painting the top of the wing over and over then begin to blur it. That’s something that I can take into consideration for the next project I work on.

2. When working with art there’s a big difference between “inspiration and imitation”. Inspiration is the use of techniques and style of other artists incorporated in ones work differently. It’s taking an idea and turning it into your own work. Imitation is taking an artists work and copying it without adding your own twist to it. In short terms imitating is copying while inspiration is using others work as a reference.

Part 2

The time spent on a piece to me is important. It shows the dedication of one to his or her work and usually produces a higher quality of art. Then again there are pieces that are just blue canvases that sell for millions, so I could very well be wrong. Another thing that should be considered in a art criteria is the skill and technique of ones piece which could show the talent of the artist. Also the idea comes into the criteria when judging a piece due to the fact of the complexity of ones idea.

Part 3

1. 1000 Hours of Starring by Tom Friedman is a simple piece that does not fit my criteria. The complexity of the art only comes from the mind of the viewer. The piece itself is simply made and does not seem to have much time and technique to it. The Idea is there in a sense but it does not follow the other 2 aspects of my criteria.

2. The Sistine chapel ceiling most definitely fits my criteria in every aspect. The idea is grand and large, the technique and finish of the ceiling is very detailed, and this piece being a ceiling most definitely took many hours of dedicated time.

3. The Bowery work does not fit my criteria because its pictures and text not any hand made work. So this piece does not fit the style and technique aspect of my criteria. The idea is an aspect that is present in this piece, whether or not this piece took time is questionable.

4. Jackson Pollock #8 is personally my favorite piece out of these five. It fits my criteria because all the different layering of the paint took time. The execution of his style and technique is amazing with all the different colors. People mistake this type of work to be easy and messy when really every line is thought out carefully by the artist.

5. Sol le Witt’s wall drawings can vary between being very complex or very simplistic. The style varies between straight lines and squiggly. The work can fit my criteria I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment