Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Self Evaluation / Reflection

PART 1

1, I feel that I was successful in incorporating some of Jamie Wyeth's stylistic tendencies. I placed the dog on the side of the beach instead of directly in the center, to follow Jamie Wyeth's tendency for how he executes the composition of his paintings. Also, he always clearly represents the texture with his brushmarks when he paints animals, which I felt I was able to capture somewhat in my piece with the dog's fur. Also he uses color to set a mood or scene in his paintings, which I felt I did in my painting because everything around the dog is more dull, and recognizably cloudy without having to look at the sky to tell.

2. When it comes to making art, imitation is an attempt to copy or closely reproduce someone else's work or style, instead of expressing and finding your own style. Imitation still of course takes talent, but it is not showing any form of originality or even creativity. Inspiration is when another artist's work encourages you to come up with your own ideas and define your own original style. Their self expression in art helps you come to discover your own individual self expression in art.


PART 2

Evaluating a piece of art should emphasis an equal focus of the time spent to create it, because that shows dedication, the skills evident in the work, because that shows talent, and the concept of the work, because that shows purpose, and I believe that a combination of dedication, talent, and well thought out purpose put into the art, makes it considered to be art.


PART 3

1. 1000 hours of staring does not match my criteria for being a piece of art. It is intended to inspire creativity, but other than that, dedication and skill were not incorporated based on my criteria. The artist may be talented but from this blank piece of paper, his skill cannot be determined. Dedication was not put into this because it is a blank piece of paper he stared at for 5 years, so therefore no time was spent actively executing the piece and actually physically creating it.

2.The sistine chapel ceiling is a piece of art based on my criteria because it incorporates dedication, talent, and purpose. The artist painted it all over a period of 4 whole years. The skill is evident because all of the paintings are professionally well developed. The purpose is it is said to be representing particularly 9 scenes from the book of genesis.

3. The bowery in two inadequate descriptive systems doesn't match my criteria for art. It has purpose and dedication but not skill when held to my standards, because it is a bunch of pictures and text, not hand crafted work showing her talent as an actual artist. Her work shows the talent of a writer or photographer.

4. I feel that Jackson Pollock #8 had skill, but not dedication or purpose, so it didn't meet my criteria for art. Although it looks childlike, he is said to of used a very complex method of executing the splatters. The work expressed his subconcious thoughts, but I don't understand what his purpose behind it was intended to convey. In terms of dedication, he didn't spend a long amount of time on it.

5 Sol le Witt's wall drawings don't meet my criteria for art. Dedication was put in, but not his own. He believed coming up with the idea was important instead of the actual personal execution of it. He doesn't fit my criteria for skill because he didn't make it with his own hands alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment