Sunday, November 27, 2011

Maggie Nemecz

Part 1

1. I feel that I was somewhat successful at embodying Georgia O’Keefe’s style. I did not want to do a picture that would be exact to hers, and also since it was my first time painting a piece; I did not want to do an extremely challenging picture. I chose a picture of nature (like O’Keefe did) that had many almost blurred edges causing it to be a more expressional piece like I did with my picture.

2. Inspiration is taking the idea or technique from another artist and putting it into your work with your own ideas but some influence by the artist. Imitation is taking an exact copy from another artist with no self-expression or inspiration.

Part 2

I evaluate others artwork on a decent amount of time spent on the piece, not just rushing through it, but actually putting thought and having a main idea or concept of the work. And finally, I evaluate the skill level that is shown in the piece and how well the message or concept is portrayed.

Part 3

1. "1000 hours of staring” by Tom Friedman is not considered “art” based on my criteria because I cannot tell the meaning of it by seeing it. The artist would have to explain the meaning of the painting for a viewer to understand it. Also, it does not look as if it took much time or effort to create.

2. Sistine Chapel ceiling by Michelangelo does match my criteria because it obviously took much time and patients. Also, it takes much skill to be able to paint the entire chapel.

3. The Bowery in Two Inadequate Descriptive Systems by Martha Rosler, I would not consider it as a piece of art. The work is confusing and I cannot tell if it took much time or not. It is difficult to understand the message of it as well.

4. Although Jackson Pollock #8 is considered famous, it does not match my criteria. It looks as if it id not take much time. Also, if a viewer did not know what was possibly going on in the artist’s life, it may look like random splatter paint and there is no meaning behind it.

5. Sol le Witt's wall drawings I would consider a piece of art because it clearly takes plenty of time and skill to produce such a large piece of art. The larger scale drawings make it much more fascinating and interesting than a smaller scaled piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment