Thursday, May 24, 2012

Maddie Self Evaluation


Part 1
1. I think I have grown as an artist a lot this year. I think I see things in a more creative light, and I have immensely improved my technique and array of materials in projects.
2. I think that my strongest technical ability after this year is blending tones in my pieces.
3. I think that some of my pieces convey my concentration topic (focus), however others do not. I think that my strength lies in charcoal pieces - the two black and white one I did this year are my favorites! I would give myself a 2 on the grading rubric because I achieved many things, but there is room for improvement.
Part 2
1. I came into the class with very limited artistic techniques. I think I was put in the class because I have a creative mind and potential. So I would say yes, the instructor led projects in term one definitely helped me grow. They taught me things that I used in my pieces I did later in the year. Most importantly: draw what you see, not what you want to see.
2. I think we had a lot of freedom in terms 2 and 3. In term 1, there were projects such as the bike and the figure drawings that I would not have chosen to do unless instructed. For me, I didn't look forward to working on these, however the techniques and principles I learned throughout making these pieces became handy for the pieces I did enjoy making in terms 2 and 3, ultimately strengthening my final show.
3. I knew that I had to have a concentration topic for honors art so I thought a bit about it, but my more serious thinking took place in the autumn, so no.
4. a. Class Critiques: I think that when I am stuck, having other people's opinions helps, but at the end of the project, I did not find class critiques particularly useful.
b. I don't think the blog effected my work in Honors Art this year. I believe that we develop as artists through working in the studio.
c. The expectations and guidelines were very clear and fair!
d. I enjoyed our field trips to Philadelphia and DC! I was much more appreciative of the art after taking this class!
Overall I am extremely glad I took this class. Most days, the art studio was a relaxing environment, a place where eight seniors released the tension high school caused through art and conversation. The class dynamics were astonishing, one of the best I have had in high school.  The small class size gave us each lots of personal attention. This year I have created pieces I never thought possible and learned so many artistic concepts that I will use in college art courses. I learned to "take risks" and push the boundaries, and I believe it has paid off!

No comments:

Post a Comment