Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Haley's Self Evaluation



Part 1:

1)   Yes, I think that my ideas have greatly developed and I’ve been able to attack more ambitious projects. By the end of the year, I found that I had many ideas for projects when at the beginning of the year I struggled to come up with any concepts at all. I also think that I am able to look at artwork in a different, more analytical way than before. I can appreciate the artist’s technical ability and time they spent on their piece. 
2)   I feel that I am most comfortable with acrylic paint and blending the colors using medium. Also I think I have been able to establish that my style of unrealistic, abstract art.
3)   I think for the most part I have accomplished what I wanted with my concentration project. I successfully used the “not so literal” interpretation of expectations. I think that the strength of my work is that it all looks like it was done by the same person. All of my pieces have a similar style yet were different in different mediums. A weakness is that not all my pieces have a personal connection. I wish I more carefully thought out each piece before jumping into. I think that if each subject was personal to me, I would cared more about each piece and created a more distinct vision.  I would probably give myself a 2 on the scale. I think that I tried experimentation and used different elements and principles to create a vision. However, I know that sometimes my pieces were not executed in the ways I would of liked. Also, sometimes the intention of the piece many not be as obvious which makes the it less successful.

Part 2:

1)   Yes, I am glad that we were assigned specific assignments in term one. It helped guide me and teach some of the basic, necessary skills before proceeding into the concentration projects. Also, it allowed everyone to do something similar and what they might not typically do if it was their own concentration projects.
2)   I liked the balance between structure and freedom. I like structure generally because it allows me to be more productive but I also think freedom is necessary when trying to portray your own vision. If there was too much structure, people may not like what they are doing and ultimately create less successful work. However, if there was too much freedom, people may only create a few pieces and not challenge themselves technically or conceptually. Personally, I thought it was a perfect balance and enhanced my performance.
3)   I think that prospective art students should maybe start thinking about their concentration topics in the summer because it could allow for more time to think of ideas. I don’t think this is absolutely necessary because your original ideas will usually change but it might be helpful. Personally, I would of liked maybe a little more time to think about my idea for my concentration but I didn’t feel that it completely rushed.
4)   I only went on one field trip but yes; I think it was beneficial to me as an artist. I like looking at other’s artwork because it sparks ideas of your own and makes you appreciate the talents of others.
5)   1- I liked the class critiques and think they should remain the same. I think it is important to give feedback to your classmates but also to hear suggestions.
2-I think that the blog/homework was helpful at some times but tedious other times. Sometimes I did not think the sketchbook was very useful and I wish I had the time spent on sketchbook assignments to work on my actual pieces.
3- I thought it was very clear from the beginning of the course on the expectations.
4- Field trips were great! I would of liked to go on more.
5- Mrs. Silverman was so helpful and a great teacher. I have learned so much and hope that I will continue making artwork for the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment